Effective Legal Solutions with

 Personal Service

Banner Image

Effective Legal Solutions With

Personal Service

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Alternative parenting schedules for Pennsylvania parents

Alternative parenting schedules for Pennsylvania parents

On Behalf of | Sep 2, 2021 | Child Custody

If you have joint child custody with your former spouse, you understand how hard it can be for Pennsylvania parents to figure out a good parenting schedule that works for everyone. Often, this schedule is created in court before anyone knows if it’s going to work.

It’s totally normal to request parenting schedule changes as you figure out more about what your life looks like as a divorced parent. With that in mind, there are a few different schedules to choose from.

50/50 parenting time with your former spouse

Some joint custody proponents say that parents should essentially split custody time 50/50. This works best for parents that live close enough together to do handoffs without interrupting the children’s school or normal routine.

The most common way that 50/50 child custody arrangements are done is by alternating weeks. The child will spend one full week with one parent and then switch to the other parent’s house.

However, this may cause a lot of stress on the parents and the children. The children may feel more alienated from their parents being away for that long, and it can seem very chaotic.

Parents can instead opt for a 50/50 parenting schedule that has them switch off the children every few days. Usually, it would be two days with one parent and then two days with the other, alternating weekends or something similar.

What about 60/40?

Some parents may want to look into a 60/40 schedule, which is the equivalent of weekends with one parent and weekdays with the other. One of the benefits of this schedule is it reduces the stress on the parents to switch off every few days while still letting the child see both parents often.

Divorce isn’t easy on anyone. It’s important to work with your lawyer to determine the right parenting schedule.